lots of good links for ya below so we can know know, see see, and do do
but before i launch into that – im still blue Betty’s gone – its just hard for me to accept.
Dr. Betty G. Miller, Mother of De’VIA, Deaf woman to earn a Doctor of Education in Art Education from Penn State University and an honorary degree from Gallaudet University and the GUAA Alice Cogswell Award (would Gally pls put up the video of Betty accepting the award) and numerous art shows – many of them being One Woman Show, long time partner of Nancy Creighton, teacher, scholar, counselor, recovering alcoholic, out lesbian, dear friend and much much more, is no more on this plane. My grief is thick but im so glad she existed and still does via her works and her spirit.
When our daughter learned of Betty’s passing she said –
“Mrs. Whatsit is gone?”
and i said “Yep”
and she said “Oh I’m so sorry. I wish i had a picture of her with her hat and shaw and knarly cane like when she blew in the door that one night.”
this made me laugh hard and happy cuz it gave me a mini-flashback on how back in 2008 when Betty had her one woman RETROSPECTIVE show at NTID’s Dyer Art center one evening we had a gathering of local folks at our home in honor of Betty and Nancy and when they arrived – Z pulled me aside and signed/finerspelled “is that M-R-S W-H-A-T-S-I-T?” She really did look like a character out of our favorite book, A Wrinkle in Time ,and since Mrs. Whatsit had wonderful powers I found it very fitting.
so im kinda just feeling like life is good – how it keeps sending things my way to help me celebrate the good folks. OF course i wish i had done more and i wish there would be a huge collective sigh going out but if i listen well enuf i can feel it. The folks who know and love her are sighing and the folks who are just learning of her departure are realizing we are loosing gems and founding mothers and fathers of the art of truth telling.
“You mean you’re comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it?” “Yes.” Mrs. Whatsit said. “You’re given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself. What you say is completely up to you.”
~ from A Wrinkle In Time
Thank you Betty for writing such a beatiful sonnet with yours.
To see Betty’s resume for all the things she has done http://bettigee.purple-swirl.com/resumesbios/artresume.html and visit the Purple Swirl Arts Giftshop for cards, ornaments, calendars with Betty’s work on them (see left side bar for more items) http://www.cafepress.com/purpleswirlarts/199602
so now for some other news items as im in a rush but want to make sure ya know about this good stuff:
– Adrean Clark’s We the People petition to recognize ASL as a community language and a language of instruction surpassed the required 25,000 to make its way to Obama and require a response from the White House – still gathering signatures (approaching 28,000 as of Dec 12, 2012 see and sign petition at https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/officially-recognize-american-sign-language-community-language-and-language-instruction-schools/CRPw2JLk
They now have a pix campaign going – asking folks to hold up a sign with the wording of “I am an American. Recognize Amercian Sign Language” ASLfor.us They are asking folks ideas for future actions for ASL for America at http://aslfor.us/listening-campaign/ Looks like my comment is pending. Hope folks will share their POV too and click click pix with sign. Cool to see so many folks from other countries joining in to support. Cant find Jean Murphy’s Irishlady’s nice vlog of all the pix yesterday now so if anyone has it – link me. Kudos and thank you to Adrean Clark for jumping at da sun and getting so many good folks to join in. To all who signed, tweeted, fb, etc etc THANK YOU. I’ve added other testimonies folks have vlogged about what ASL means to them at: https://handeyes.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/dear-obama-vlogs-and-petition-in-support-of-asl/ scroll down for the testimonies
this is an important campaign because many disenfranchised groups assert themselves by indicating that while they are “different” from the majority or the folks in power they are still Americans and want that promise of “all folks being created equal” to apply to them. so keep standing folks and maybe read I, Too, Sing America by Harlem Renassiance poet, Langston Hughes. Love this poem and poet and see De’VIA artist, Susan Dupor’s Deaf American painting. Love this painter and educator.
– Dr. Steve Emery of the UK has an entry up about the Deafhood and Genetics conference – hope folks will visit it. it is LOADED with important info. (my old wordpress template – so nice to see an old friend ; ) http://tigerdeafie.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/the-show-goes-on-deafhood-and-genetics-part-1/
– UN CRPD – all i got to say is the republicans who voted nay deserve the WTF award. Seriously taking all my power not to don a wig and sign out about that bonkiness. No worries they gonna bring it back to the floor and the lies r gonna be brought out to the light of day to kill off that b.s. the UN CRPD has NO risk to US sovereignty, pushing mercy killing, awarding too many HC parking spots at fundalmentalist churhes, or promoting abortion. If the Republican congress folks are so worried about sovereignty they should rectify what we done and are doing to Native people’s sovereignty.
– The Planet – YIKES> the mother is screaming! wake up folks wake up. The Mayan prediction was probably – geez u all r gonna be mistreating the mother mighty bad and she gonna have to set u straight. Saddest thing about our destruction of the planet is the folks who are gonna be affected the worst by it at first are the ones we seldom listen to – plants, animals, indigenous people, poor people. It’s horrible folks. And guess who caused this mess WE (We the people of the planet) are in? mostly corporations and their GREED. Resist folks. try to live more simply. and CARE about others. To the Tar Sand and the no fracking fighters thank u – most especially the hunger strikers. You are in my thoughts. To the victims of the typhoon Bopha in the Philippines – our hearts go out to you and your families.
– there was a conference in Germany this week re: Deaf folks and Place – hoping someone will put some of the good stuff in one place as following the tweets was hard but valuable. Im just greedy for the good stuff that is non-destructive and illuminating.
– the BSL ZONE has an outstanding program out – EVOLUTION OF BSL. it is NOT to be missed folks – meaning WATCH IT NOW and share ; ) http://www.bslzone.co.uk/bsl-zone/evolution-of-bsl/
– holiday time now – lights of the menorah have been delightful. hope folks will take the time to write Felix Garcia a letter. He is a Latino Deaf man who has been in prison for decades for a crime his brother has since confessed to.
Send him a card folks. it doesn’t have to be a sonnet. If you want a note back – include a stamp.
there is more stuff that has passed my path but im in a hurry so for now enjoy all the typos as the spell check is off on this computer somhow and i havent had any time to proof read and ive misplaced my reading glasses and i can already feel my brain doing those brilliant dyslexia mix-ups.
ill try to tidy latter. but if u dont mind a neat mess – this is the place