heye just a quick note of some news items – the bottom one is the worst so if u just wanna scroll down, feel free
OCCUPY ROCHESTER TRIAL
1. Judge Johnson ruled to dismiss the charges against some of the Occupy Rochester folks who decided to stand in the park after dark for free speech, free assembly, and free press (a RIT college “Reporter magazine” reporter was arrested too)
Some folks arrested had accepted the ACD + 24 hours of community service but most of us decided to fight it
a total of 48 people had been arrested (32 on the first night and 16 a few days later) a few days after that the Mayor of Rochester reached an agreement with the Occupy Rochester folks to let them be there 24/7 and this week they have been celebrating 2 month in the part. the agreement was to expire today but it is said it will be extended to the spring since the peaceful protestors have been so peaceful. SWEET.
thanks to all who can and do stand up for our first amendment rights and thank u to all the folks who showed support, gratitude, concern, and love for me during all of this. really im very moved by how good some folks are
NOTE: (added today 1/13) the Center for Disability Rights (CDR) had a meeting with Chief of Police Sheppard with two other representatives from the Rochester police dept. and invited me to join. The meeting was great – Chief Sheppard seems very sincere and dedicated to doing right by Deaf folks and made several commitments towards that end. Thank u to Rochester PD and CDR.
2. some folks had taken the time and heart to send Christmas cards or a note to Felix Garcia – a Deaf man who has been imprisoned for nearly 30 years for a crime his Hearing brother recently confessed to committing set up Felix to take the blame. Felix has written back to some people. i got a nice letter from him expressing gratitude for the card, sharing how hard things are and letting me know im on his prayer list.
I’m on HIS prayer list. this touched me deeply – that someone could be wrongfully incarcerated, experience horrible abuse, and suffer severe communicaSHUN access issues and he puts ME on his prayer list. WOW. im just awed by this. so i hope ya all will take the time to write Felix or sign the various petitions out there.
don’t know who Felix is – you can get the link to the Mother Jones article about his case and see the Governor of Fla office reply to Audism Free America’s letter calling for Felix’s release at: http://audismfreeamerica.blogspot.com/2012/01/fla-gov-scotts-office-reply-to-afa-re.html
Ridor has said that a notable top civil rights lawyer has agreed to take on Felix’s case pro bono so lets hope it goes forward and justice is served. This doesn’t mean you all can rest easy. You should still do something if so moved (write Felix, sign the petitions, write to the different groups in the governor’s response etc)
3. Prolific and powerful De’VIA artist Nancy Rourke has a video up showcasing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvnUW11EJFU&feature=colike)
her works from this past year and has already created several to ring in the new year. One of her recent works is Solitary Deaf Prison. I just love how she take contemporary Deaf issues and creates visual testimonies and records of these events and people.
WARREN MILLER & CHUCK BAIRD
4. Warren Miller’s artwork will be the back drop in a scene from Switched at Birth. Warren Miller is a great De’VIA artist who some folks at Switched at Birth TV program discovered via Chuck Baird Foundation emerging artists section. The program has purchased four of Warren’s paintings and he just emailed me that his “I Love You” work will appear in the next episode. Its cool that the program is so supportive of Deaf actors and artists!
NOTE: keep your prayers and thought on famous and marvelous De’VIA artist – Chuck Baird. He has had cancer for several years now and it is tough.
clips from a film by Tracey Salaway about Chuck and his art at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPGr9gNf4Y0
We Love YA CHUCK
5. Stem cell experimentation on Deaf infants ages 6 WEEKS old to 18 month old
im speechless and signless folks. these are babies! if these were baby kittens the PETA would be making a stink probably. How did the FDA approve this?
H O W ????
and Wake the #uck up folks – i have been tired of being the town crier!
do ya believe me now? coming for a pair of ears near u