Boot Up for the Media Hype B.S.
Basic summary of what i signed is below the video box here with some extras and some extra links to some import info at bottom
simple questions –
1. are we Deaf folks a Scourge?
2. is it true that folks who are moderately to severely Deaf have NEVER heard the sound of their own voice and can not understand others’ speech?
(NOTE: Sarah C of viral video fame grew up with hearing aids)
Well, this is what the media has been spreading around from false prophets. Woman in Australia (Dimity Dornan) says Deaf is like polio – a highly contagious illness. Kudos to the Australia Deaf folks and the WFD taking a stand against this b.s.
And a young woman cries over a new type of implant Envoy Esteem, which we do not know how well it will work over time as its 100% implantable and what happens if a part breaks or the battery dies? It is for folks who are moderate to severe Deaf and they are capable of hearing speech and making speech. She just was able to hear herself differently via the new implant – it was not the FIRST time she ever heard and PRESTO she is a hearing and speaking person for the FIRST time within minutes.
ADDED: ABC’s “Today” and “Ellen” and the 8 million viewers at youtube – ya got a wee bit punked! by the headlines “29 years old and hearing myself for the 1st time!”
but heye – there is a first time for everything aint there. For those of us in the Deaf-world – we have seen this over-sensationalism before.
Envoy – u might want to ensure u got some small print there that says “not the miracle cure as misrepresented in the viral video” cuz otherwise u gonna have alot of disgruntled customers and the FDA is gonna wonder why u r covering Sarah’s 2 implants and allowing her to claim that she never heard her voice due to being Deaf since birth when in fact the Envoy Esteem is only for moderate to severe and not profoundly Deaf folks
and Telstra Award ya got a bit punked into rewarding a woman who has made it her business to say “we can cosign deafness to history” – ie annihilate a people, a culture, and a language to oblivion – like …. polio??? huh and HELLO.
This we too have seen before – see
just read some nutters nothingness in some blog somewhere and ease ur conscience that its a good thing to make Deaf dead.
Knowledge is power folks – “Take a look, its in a book….”
OY what b.s. they spin and sputter
1. link to CODA Australia 2010 video (Auslan & English) contending Dimity Dornan “Hear Say” organization being granted $4 million dollars from the Australia govt when it practice and promotes language bigotry and human rights violations (thanks shawn for the link)
2. link to the Deaf Bilingual Coalition (DBC) Letter to the Telstra Award organizers calling for Dornan’s award to be rescinded
3. World Federation of the Deaf and Deaf Australia’s letter calling for a public apology from Dornan for her inflamatory remarks
Boot up folks!